Russell D. Dupuis earned all of his academic degrees from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He received his bachelor's degree with "Highest Honors-Bronze Tablet" in 1970. He received his master's in electrical engineering in 1971, and his Ph.D. degree in 1973. His alma mater has honored him with the University of Illinois Alumni Loyalty Award, and the Distinguished Alumnus Award. Dr. Dupuis worked at Texas Instruments from 1973 to 1975. In 1975, he joined Rockwell International where he was the first to demonstrate that MOCVD could be used for the growth of high-quality semiconductor thin films and devices. He joined AT&T Bell Laboratories in 1979 where he extended his work to the growth of InP-InGaAsP by MOCVD. In 1989 he became a chaired professor at the University of Texas at Austin. In August 2003, he was appointed Steve W. Chaddick Chair in Electro-Optics at Georgia Tech in ECE. He is currently studying the growth of III-V compound semiconductor devices by MOCVD, including materials in the InAlGaN/GaN, InAlGaAsP/GaAs, InAlGaAsSb, and InAlGaAsP/InP systems.
- semiconductor materials and devices
- epitaxial growth by metalorganic chemical vapor deposition
- heterojunction structures in III-V compound semiconductors
- IEEE Edison Medal, 2007
- National Medal of Technology Laureate, 2002
- The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society (TMS) John Bardeen Award, 2004
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, College of Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 2004
- Licensed Professional Engineer, The State of Texas (2001)
- Fellow of the Optical Society of America, 2000
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Alumni Loyalty Award, 1997
- IEEE/LEOS Award for Engineering Achievement, 1995
- Elected to National Academy of Engineering, 1989
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1987
- Young Scientist Award of the Gallium Arsenide and Related Compounds Conference, 1986
- Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 1986
- Distinguished Member of the Technical Staff, AT&T Bell Laboratories, 1986
- IEEE Morris N. Liebmann Memorial Award, 1985
S. Choi, M-H Ji, J. Kim., H-J Kim, M.M. Satter., P.D. Yoder., J-H Ryou, R.D., A.M. Fischer , F.A. , "Efficiency droop due to electron spill-over and limited hole injection in III-nitride visible light-emitting diodes employing lattice-matched InAlN electron blocking layers," APL, 101(16), 161110-5(2012).
Y.-C. Lee, Y. Zhang, Z. Lochner, H. J. Kim, J.-H. Ryou, R. D. Dupuis, and S.-C. Shen, "GaN/InGaN heterojunction bipolar transistors with ultra-high d.c. power density (>3MW/cm2)," Phys. Stat. Sol. (a) 209 (3), 497–500 (2012).
Kim, S., Kim, H.J., Choi, S., Lochner, Z., Ryou, J.-H., Dupuis, R.D., Kim, H., "Carrier transport properties of Mg-doped InAlN films," Electronics Letters, 48(20), 1306-8 (2012).
Z. Lochner, H. J. Kim, Y.-C. Lee, Y. Zhang, S. Choi, S.-C. Shen, P. D. Yoder, J.-H. Ryou, and R. D. Dupuis, "NpN-GaN/InxGa1-xN/GaN heterojunction bipolar transistor grown on free-standing GaN substrate," Appl. Phys. Lett. 99 (19), 193501-1–3 (2011).
R. Blanchard, S. Menzel, C. Pflugl, L. Diehl, C. Wang, Y. Huang., J.-H. Ryou, R. D. Dupuis, L. Dal Negro, and F. Capasso, "Gratings with an aperiodic basis: single-mode emission in multi-wavelength lasers," New J. Phys. 13 (11), 113023-1–13 (2011).
Y. Zhang, Y.-C. Lee, Z. Lochner, H. J. Kim, S. Choi, J.-H. Ryou, R. D. Dupuis, and S.-C. Shen, "High-performance GaN/InGaN double heterojunction bipolar transistors with power density >240 kW/cm2,” Phys. Stat. Sol. (c) 8 (7–8), 2451–2453 (2011).
J.-H. Ryou and R. D. Dupuis, "Focus Issue Introduction: Optics in LEDs for lighting," Opt. Exp. 19 (S4), A897–A899 (2011).
Zhang, Y. , Liu, J.-P., Kao, T.-T., Kim, S., Lee, Y.-C., Lochner, Z., Ryou, J.-H., Yoder, P.D., Dupuis, R.D., Shen, S.-C., "Performance enhancement of InGaN-based laser diodes using a step-graded AlxGa1-xN electron blocking layer," Intl. Journal of High Speed Electronics and Systems, 20 (3), 515-20 (2011).
Y. Huang, J.-H. Ryou, R. D. Dupuis, D. Zuo, B. Kesler, S.-L. Chuang, H. Hu, K.-H. Kim, Y. T. Lu, and J.-M. Zuo, "Strain-balanced InAs/GaSb type-II superlattice structures and photodiodes grown on InAs substrates by metalorganic chemical vapor deposition," Appl. Phys. Lett. 99 (1), 011109-1–3 (2011).
S.-C. Shen, R. D. Dupuis, Y.-C. Lee, H. J. Kim, Y. Zhang, Z. Lochner, P. D. Yoder, and J.-H. Ryou, "GaN/InGaN heterojunction bipolar transistors with fT > 5 GHz," IEEE Electron Device Lett. 32 (8), 1065–1067 (2011).
Last revised May 4, 2016