Dr. Richards grew up in Houston, Texas. He earned the B.E.E. from Georgia Tech in 1974 and the M.S. E.E. from Stanford University in 1976. After a brief stint with ESL, Inc. he returned to Georgia Tech to complete his Ph.D. in the area of short-time Fourier analysis with application to helium speech enhancement.
Dr. Richards spent most of the next 20 years with the Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI), researching various aspects of radar signal processing and embedded signal processors. His last position there was Chief of the Radar Systems Division in GTRI's Sensors & Electromagnetic Applications Laboratory. In the mid-1990s, he served on loan to DARPA as the Program Manager for the Rapid Prototyping of Application Specific Signal Processors (RASSP) program.
In 2002, Dr. Richards transferred to ECE, where he concentrates on teaching academic and distance learning courses, continues research in embedded processing and radar imaging, and aids in federal research development for the School and Institute.
- Embedded digital signal processors
- Radar signal processing
- Digital signal processing
- Distance learning
- IEEE Fellow, 2011
- Commendation for "Contributions to the Governor's Task Force on Warning and Communications," Hon. Zell Miller, Governor of Georgia, 12 June 1998
- Georgia Tech Research Institute Fellow
- NASA Group Achievement Award, for contributions to Windshear Radar Real-Time Processor Development and Flight Integration team, 1993
- General Chairman, IEEE 2001 Radar Conference (RADARCON 01)
- IEE 2000/2001 Clarke Griffiths Memorial Premium prize for the paper "Interferometric height estimation of the seafloor via synthetic aperture sonar in the presence of motion errors", IEE Proceedings - Radar, Sonar, and Navigation, vol. 147, no.6, pp. 322-330, Dec. 2000 (with W. W. Bonifant, Jr. and J. H. McClellan), July 2002
Principles of Modern Radar: Basic Principles, SciTech Publishing, 2010 (editor and author)
Fundamentals of Radar Signal Processing, McGraw-Hill, 2005
"Coherent Integration Loss due to White Gaussian Phase Noise," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 208-210, July 2003
"The Morphware Stable Interface: A Software Framework for Polymorphous Computing Architectures," Proceedings GOMACTech-03, vol. 1, pp. 382-385, March 31 - April 3, 2003, Tampa, Florida (with D. P. Campbell and K. M. Mackenzie).
"Interferometric height estimation of the seafloor via synthetic aperture sonar in the presence of motion errors", IEE Proceedings - Radar, Sonar, and Navigation, vol. 147, no.6, pp. 322-330, Dec. 2002 (with W. W. Bonifant, Jr. and J. H. McClellan)
Rapid Prototyping of Application Specific Signal Processors, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1997. (edited, with A. J. Gadient and G. A. Frank).
"NASA Experimental Airborne Doppler Radar and Real Time Processor for Windshear Detection," Fourth Combined Manufacturers' and Technologists' Airborne Windshear Review Meeting, Williamsburg, Virginia, April 14-16, 1992. (with P. Schaffner et al.).
Last revised October 5, 2016