Professor Larry P. Heck is the Rhesa Screven Farmer, Jr., Advanced Computing Concepts Chair and a Georgia Research Alliance Eminent Scholar in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology. Prior to joining Georgia Tech in 2021, he was with a number of companies, including most recently Samsung (Senior Vice President and Head of Bixby North America), Viv Labs (CEO), Google (Principal Scientist and Head of Deep Dialogue Research), Microsoft (Chief Scientist of Speech Products, Distinguished Engineer, and co-founder of Cortana), Yahoo! (Vice President responsible for Search and Advertising quality), Nuance Communications (Vice President of R&D), and Stanford Research Institute (Research Engineer in the Speech Technology and Research (STAR) Laboratory.
Dr. Heck received the Ph.D. and M.S.E.E. from the Georgia Institute of Technology in 1991 and 1989, respectively, and the B.S.E.E. from Texas Tech University in 1986.
- Machine/deep learning
- Artificial intelligence (AI)
- Natural language processing (NLP)
- Conversational systems
- Speech/speaker recognition
- IEEE Fellow
- Published numerous scientific papers and holds 50+ United States patents
- Academy of Distinguished Engineering Alumni, Georgia Tech College of Engineering, 2017
- Distinguished Engineer Award, Texas Tech University Whitacre College of Engineering, 2017
Last revised August 25, 2021