Professor Peatman was born and grew up in Larchmont, New York. One of the defining events in his young life occurred when he contracted polio at fourteen, leaving him with weakness in his legs and feet.
Dr. Peatman completed his BSEE degree at Swarthmore College and then worked with Honeywell in inertial guidance, first in Minneapolis and then in St. Petersburg, Florida. He returned to academia at Case Institute of Technology (now Case Western Reserve University) and completed his MSEE degree.
To evaluate his interest in a teaching career, he then taught for two years as an Assistant Professor at the Missouri School of Mines (now Missouri University of Science and Technology). He resumed graduate studies at Case with a focus on digital systems design where he completed his Ph.D. degree.
Thereupon, he joined the Georgia Tech faculty to help develop the emerging area of digital systems design. Professor Peatman has augmented his learning with many summers of design activities with Hewlett-Packard Company plus a year-on-leave with HP in Scotland. His professional direction has been shaped by his course and instructional laboratory development which has, in turn, led to his authoring of seven textbooks. He has been a Director of Intelligent Systems Corporation since 1979.
- Development of low-cost tools for the design of microcontroller applications
- Embedded microcontroller applications
- 2006 IEEE Undergraduate Teaching Award
- Fellow, IEEE
- 1999 IEEE Education Society's McGraw-Hill/Jacob Millman Award
- Outstanding EE Professor Award, 1984, 1996, 2001
- Georgia Tech Outstanding Teacher Award, 1971
- Student Government Association's Dean George C. Griffin Award "to honor faculty who have unselfishly promoted student activities," 1969
- President, Georgia Tech Chapter of Phi Kappa Phi, 1985-1986
- Member, Eta Kappa Nu, Tau Beta Pi, Omicron Delta Kappa
John B. Peatman, Embedded Design with the PIC 18F452 Microcontroller, Prentice Hall, 2002.
John B. Peatman, Design with PIC Microcontrollers, Prentice Hall, 1998.
John B. Peatman, Design with Microcontrollers, McGraw-Hill, 1988.
John B. Peatman, Digital Hardware Design, McGraw-Hill, 1980.
John B. Peatman, Microcomputer-Based Design, McGraw-Hill, 1977.
John B. Peatman, The Design of Digital Systems, McGraw-Hill, 1972.
Last revised August 31, 2020