As of July 1, 2021, Douglas Blough serves as the Interim Steve W. Chaddick School Chair in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Georgia Tech. He joined the ECE faculty in 1999 as a professor and has served as the School’s associate chair for faculty development since January 2018.
Dr. Blough is the director of the Critical Networking Laboratory. His research currently focuses on wireless networks and, in the past, also covered dependable/secure computing. He has more than 160 archival publications in these areas and has led 37 federally-funded or industry-sponsored research projects, with a total funding level of more than $8 million. Currently, Dr. Blough’s research is funded by two NSF grants in the area of next-generation wireless networks that explore the design challenges for networks operating in the millimeter-wave bands. In addition to his academic roles, he previously held fellowship positions with NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory and the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science.
Dr. Blough has held numerous positions within ECE. He was the chair of the Computer Systems and Software Technical Interest Group from 2010-2012 and the Computer Engineering Technical Interest Group from 2001-2003. He also served as a member of the Reappointment, Promotion, and Tenure Committee from 2004-2007 and 2016-2021; the Faculty Recruiting Committee from 2001-2002 and 2012-2015; and the Faculty Honors Committee from 2007-2008, 2015-2016, and 2018-present. At the campus level, Dr. Blough was a Provost’s Faculty Fellow for faculty development in 2018-2019.
- Wireless networks
- Distributed computer systems
- Computer systems security
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 2020-present
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing, 2020-present
- Provost’s Faculty Fellow for Faculty Development, 2018-2019
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, 2015-2018
- General Chair: 2014 IEEE International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 2008-2013
- General Chair: 2006 ACM/SIGMoblie Workshop on Dependability Issues in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks and Sensor Networks
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 2001-2005
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Computers, 1996-2000
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Faculty Fellow, 1996
- UC Irvine School of Engineering Outstanding Teaching Award, 1993-94
- NASA/ASEE Faculty Fellow, 1993
- Phi Beta Delta, 1992
- Tau Beta Pi, 1983
- Eta Kappa Nu, 1983
See a full list of Dr. Blough's publications at http://blough.ece.gatech.edu/research/pubs.html.
Last revised July 27, 2021