Professor Juang received his undergraduate degree from National Taiwan University in 1973, and his master’s and doctoral degrees from the University of California, Santa Barbara in 1978 and 1981, respectively. He subsequently joined the Acoustics Research Department of Bell Laboratories, where he worked in the area of speech coding and recognition. Professor Juang became Director of Acoustics and Speech Research at Bell Labs in 1996, and Director of Multimedia Technologies Research at Avaya Labs (a spin-off of Bell Labs) in 2001, where he worked in speech and multimedia communication research. He led a team that is accredited with such important inventions as the electret microphone, the network echo canceller, a series of speech CODECs, key algorithms for signal modeling and automatic speech recognition, and the development of a speech server for applications such as AT&T's advanced 800 calls and the Moviefone. Most recent innovations under Professor Juang include a world-first real-time full-duplex hands-free stereo teleconferencing system. Prof. Juang holds nearly 20 patents, and has published extensively. A major publication is the textbook, “Fundamentals of Speech Recognition”, co-authored with L.R. Rabiner.
- Speech processing, including recognition, synthesis, coding and enhancement
- Multi-channel and array signal processing
- Stochastic modeling of signal and data sequence
- Signal processing for communications
- Multimedia and multimodal communications
- Member, National Academy of Engineering (NAE)
- Fellow, IEEE
- Fellow, Bell Labs
- Technical Achievement Award, IEEE Signal Processing Society
- Third Millennium Medal, IEEE
- Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Transactions on Speech and Audio Processing
- Distinguished Lecturer, IEEE Signal Processing Society
- Best Paper Awards, IEEE Signal Processing Society, 1993, 1994
- Most Influential Signal Processing Magazine Paper Awards, IEEE Signal Processing Society, 1994
- Bell Labs' President Gold Award
- Academician, Academia Sinica
Juang, B-H. and Soong, F.K., "Hands-free telecommunications", Proceedings of International Workshop on Hands-free Speech Communications, p. 5-10, ATR, Kyoto, Japan, April 2001.
Shigeru Katagiri, B.H. Juang and C.H. Lee, "Pattern recognition using a family of design algorithms based upon Generalized Probabilistic Descent method", Intelligent Signal Processing, Haykin and Kosko (ed.), IEEE Press, 2001.
Juang, B-H. Sondhi, M. and Rabiner, L.R.,"Digital speech processing,", The Encyclopedia of Physical Science and Technology, Robert Meyers (ed.), Academic Press, 2000.
Juang, B-H., "Hidden Markov Models", The Encyclopedia of Telecommunications, John Proakis (ed.), John Wiley and Sons, 2000.
Juang, B-H., "Speech and Speaker Recognition", The McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology, 2000.
Li Q., Juang, B-H., Zhou Q. and Lee, C.H., "Automatic verbal information verification for user authentication", IEEE Trans. Speech and Audio Proc., vol.8, no.5, pp.585-596, September 2000.
Juang, B-H. and Furui, S. "Automatic recognition and understanding of spoken language - a first step towards natural human-machine communication", Proceedings of the IEEE, August 2000.
Last revised November 12, 2015