ECE Course Outline
Microelectronic Circuits (4-0-4)
- See topical outline
- Catalog Description
- Basic concepts of microelectronic materials, devices and circuits.
- Jaeger & Blalock, Microelectronic Circuit Design (5th edition), McGraw Hill, 2015. ISBN 9780073529608 (required)
Pierret, Semiconductor Device Fundamentals, Addison Wesley, 1996. ISBN 0201543931, ISBN 9780201543933 (required)
- Course Objectives - As part of this course, students:
- will understand the physical, electrical, and optical properties of semiconductor materials and their use in microelectronic circits. 
- relate the atomic and physical properties of semiconductor materials to device and circuit performance issues. 
- develop an understanding of the connection between device-level and circuit-level performance of microelectronic systems. [6,8]
- Course Outcomes - Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
- compute carrier concentrations for semiconductor materials under a variety of conditions.
- compute conductivity and resistivity of semiconductor materials under a variety of conditions.
- compute terminal voltage and current characteristics for pn junction diodes under a variety of conditions.
- compute terminal voltage and current characteristics for bipolar transistors under a variety of conditions.
- compute terminal voltage and current characteristics for MOS transistors under a variety of conditions.
- compute terminal voltage and current characteristics for ideal operational amplifiers under a variety of conditions.
- analyze the DC performance of single-stage analog amplifiers containing these circuit elements.
- analyze the AC performance of single-stage analog amplifiers containing these circuit elements.
- analyze the DC performance of simple digital circuits (e.g., inverters and logic gates) containing these circuit elements.
- Topical Outline
Prerequisites: ECE 3043* and ECE 2031/20X2 and (ECE 2035 or ECE 2036) and ECE 2040 and CHEM 1310/1211K/12X1 and MATH 2401/2411/24X1 and MATH 2403/2413/24X3 [all ECE and MATH courses min C] * ECE 3040 and ECE 3043 normally must be taken concurrently. Basic Semiconductor Physics Bonding Mechanisms Charge Carriers Generation/Recombination Doping Carrier Transport Optical Absorption PN Junctions Equilibrium Analysis Carrier Transport Under Applied Bias Transient Properties Diode Circuit Models Diode Applications (LEDs, Detectors) Diode Circuits (Limiting, Clamping, Rectifying Circuits) SPICE Analysis Bipolar Junction Transistor Structure Circuit Symbol and Terminal Characteristics BJT Physics: Equilibrium and Under Applied Bias Ebers-Moll Model Small Signal Model SPICE Analysis MOS Field Effect Transistors MOS Capacitor MOS Electrostatics MOSFET Structure, Symbol and Terminal Characteristics MOSFET Device Physics Circuit Models SPICE Analysis Single Stage Amplifiers General Concepts Common Emitter/Source Common Base/Gate Common Collector/Drain Differential Amplifiers SPICE Analysis Operational Amplifiers Inverting/Non-inverting Configurations First Order Circuits Frequency Response Non-ideal Performance Digital Circuits Inverter Characteristics and Circuits Gates (AND/NAND, OR/NOR) CMOS Inverters and Gates CMOS and BiCMOS Logic