On February 20, members of the Georgia Tech community gathered to honor the extraordinary service of Roger P. Webb, professor emeritus in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE). A plaque was unveiled recognizing his 41 years of service to Georgia Tech from 1963-2004. Webb spent 14 of those years, 1990-2004, as the School’s chair during a time of significant growth and expansion.
As a student, faculty member, leader of ECE, and administrator, his association with Georgia Tech and ECE has spanned over 60 years.
Webb arrived at Georgia Tech in 1959 to pursue his doctorate, and from 1961-63, he worked as a Georgia Tech Ford Fellow. During this time, Webb became an assistant professor in 1963 and then received his doctorate in 1964. At that time, he was the 20th faculty member in electrical engineering, and Van Leer was a brand new building on campus.
Throughout his career, Webb’s primary interests were in electric power systems, instrumentation, and control systems. During his tenure as Georgia Power Company Distinguished Professor from 1972-2001, he coordinated instructional and research program development in electric power engineering. In 1978, Webb became the School’s associate director, and in 1989, he served as acting director, and then became chair in 1990.
During his nearly 15 years as the ECE school chair, Webb oversaw a period of intense growth and expansion until his retirement in December 2004. The size of the faculty grew by more than a third, the number of doctoral degrees granted almost quadrupled, the dollar amount in research grants and contracts stood at $46 million in 2004 as compared to $10 million in 1990, 15 research centers and consortia were founded, and 22 endowed or named professorships were established.
Since his retirement in 2004, Webb has served Georgia Tech in several different capacities. He currently works part-time in ECE on fundraising and development initiatives, as well as several other critical areas of interest for the School.
Photo cutlines (all images taken by Ashlee Gardner):
The newly installed plaque of Roger Webb is located on the wall outside of the ECE Administrative Office in the Van Leer Building.
The plaque of Roger Webb is installed alongside the plaques honoring Demetrius Paris (center), ECE school director from 1969-1989 and faculty member from 1959-1998, and Blake Van Leer, the Van Leer Building’s namesake who served as Georgia Tech’s president from 1944-1956.
ECE Professor Emeritus Roger Webb (center/left) is greeted by Magnus Egerstedt (facing away from the camera), ECE’s Steve W. Chaddick School Chair, at the surprise unveiling of a plaque in Webb’s honor.
The plaque of Roger P. Webb was unveiled at a surprise dedication ceremony on February 20. Looking on shortly after the unveiling are Daniela Staiculescu, ECE senior academic professional, and Harry Beck, ECE’s director of Business Operations.
Roger Webb speaks briefly to those in attendance.
Roger Webb speaks with Russ Dupuis (center), who holds the Steve W. Chaddick Endowed Chair in Electro-Optics, as ECE Professor Emeritus J. Alvin Connelly looks on.
Magnus Egerstedt and Roger Webb stand with the plaque at the end of the dedication ceremony.
Plaque installations of Roger Webb, Demetrius Paris, and Blake Ragsdale Van Leer
Roger Webb and Magnus Egerstedt
Daniela Staiculescu and Harry Beck alongside plaque
Roger Webb with Russ Dupuis and J. Alvin Connelly
Magnus Egerstedt and Roger Webb
School of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Last revised March 4, 2020