Career Fair Checklist: What to Do Before and After
Clean up your resume, get your clothes ready, and get your head in the game.
The Georgia Tech Fall Career Fair is quickly approaching Sept. 14–15. The best way to avoid common Career Fair mistakes and land a job or internship offer is preparation.
Luckily, departments across campus have organized a variety of resources to help students be Career Fair ready.
Before the Career Fair:
- Dig up your resume from spring semester and add your summer activities. Did you complete an internship, do research, or hold a leadership position? Be sure your resume is up-to-date and then bring it to the Center for Career Discovery and Development’s Fall Resume Blitz. Just in time for the Career Fair, the Resume Blitz will be held Sept. 9, 10, and 11 in the Bill Moore Student Success Center from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Stop by with a paper copy of your resume and get advice from many of the same employers that are recruiting on campus this fall.
- First impressions matter at career fairs. That’s why Tech’s Campus Closet lends professional attire to students for career-related events. Students must wear business professional attire to the fall Career Fair, but if you don’t have a suit, don’t let that hinder your job search. You can easily borrow a variety of professional attire from Campus Closet by registering at www.gtcampuscloset.com.
- The Student Alumni Association (SAA) leverages alumni resources to assist students with their job searches. The SAA Get Ready for the Real World (GRRW) committee is dedicated to preparing students for life after Tech. An upcoming webinar hosted by SAA, Be Career Fair Ready, will take place Sept. 8 from 6 to 7 p.m. Register to attend the webinar here. If you aren’t able to attend this event, then check out these recorded GRRW events.
- Lastly, download the Georgia Tech Career Fair App from the Apple Store or Google Play Store to have the most updated information about company locations, floor plan, event details, and announcements before and during the event.
After the Career Fair:
Aside from the usual follow-ups such as applying online and sending thank you notes to recruiters, here are a few more things you can to do to keep your job search alive after the fall Career Fair.
- Although the fall Career Fair is the largest of the year, there are plenty of other career fairs around campus this fall. Some of these smaller career fairs are major-specific, which makes it easier to find employers in your field. Check here for a complete list of career fairs this semester.
- Company information sessions are another way to get one-on-one time with recruiters. If career fairs seem overwhelming, then information sessions are a great place to start your job search. Check www.career.gatech.edu throughout the semester to see if new information sessions have been added. The current schedule can be viewed here.
For more information about the Georgia Tech Fall Career Fair, visit www.career.gatech.edu/careerfair.
Last revised August 1, 2017