Updates on the campus response to coronavirus (COVID-19)

Information For Accepted Students


I've Been Accepted. Now What?


Congratulations on your admission into the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering! This page contains useful information to aid in your decision to matriculate as well as your transition to campus.

In order to matriculate, you must notify us of your intention to either ACCEPT or DECLINE your offer by April 15 or the stated deadline in your offer letter. Use the link below to relay your decision.

If you have received an offer of financial support, review the Council of Graduate Schools Resolution to ensure that you understand expectations surrounding acceptance or declining the admission offer.   


Now that you have been admitted, you may have a flurry of questions. You are not alone; many others share the same uncertainties, so we have listed a few of the top frequently asked questions. If you do not find the answer to your question in this list, please contact us at grad-help@ece.gatech.edu.


What are the next steps in the admission process?

Orientation and advisement sessions will be held prior to the start of the semester. You will receive invitations to both the Institute orientation and the ECE orientation a few weeks before the start of the semester. Both events are important. The Institute orientation provides a general overview of being a graduate student at Tech and introduces you to campus resources. The ECE orientation and advisement sessions orients you to the School of Electrical Engineering and program requirements. International students may also be invited an orientation hosted by the Office of International Education (OIE). 

I accepted my offer, when should I send my official transcripts and test scores (if applicable)?

Final documents are remitted to the Office of Graduate Studies who finalizes your admissions file. You may view a checklist of required items and their status by logging in to your application status page. This checklist can be updated at any time between time of acceptance and matriculation into the program so please periodically monitor the page prior to enrollment. Visit this page for more information on how to send documents. Unsubmitted requirements can result in a hold being placed on your account which prevents registration in a future semester.

Is there a seat deposit that I am required to pay to reserve my admission?

At present, the School of ECE does not impose a seat deposit so there are no costs associated with accepting the admissions offer. While we do expect that your word is a binding commitment, if circumstances require you to change your decision, please reach out to us for assistance with updating your decision at grad-help@ece.gatech.edu

When will I get an @gatech.edu email address?

Information on creating an @gatech.edu email address will be provided a month prior to the start of classes. If you have not received email access by this time, request help or support by contacting the Office of Information Technology (OIT).

What are the options for funding graduate education?

In the US graduate studies are primarily self-funded or employer sponsored but financial assistance is available in some cases. Fellowships, Graduate teaching assistantships (GTA), and graduate research assistantships (GRA) are the most frequent types of funding that can be awarded to applicants of graduate programs.

Fellowships: Fellowships are largely tied to doctoral research, and many are also heavily focused on STEM disciplines (note that some majors are widely considered to be professional programs). Most fellowship funding is discretionary for student awardees to use as they see fit to support themselves while pursuing graduate study. That’s not to say there are not any existing fellowship opportunities for master’s level students. At the Institute level, we do not tend to see a lot of fellowship or assistantship funding held by exclusively and/or terminal master’s students.

The Office of Graduate Studies maintains a list of national fellowships available to students at the beginning of their studies. Many fellowships listed on this page are funded through the US government, therefore, have a requirement of US citizenship or permanent residency. Students are encouraged to explore the provided leads and expand their research on their own to investigate additional opportunities they see fit to support themselves while pursuing graduate study.

GTA: Teaching assistants are typically paired with a professor and can have responsibilities ranging from direct classroom support such as teaching, grading student assignments, proctoring exams, holding office hours to answer student questions or offer tutoring services, and/or other duties as assigned.

GRA: Research assistants work with faculty or researchers who have shared interests to further the person’s research. GRA duties can consist of conducting experiments, analyzing data, collaborating with faculty / researchers in preparing publications and/or other duties as assigned.

Fellowships/GTAs/GRAs awarded by the School of ECE are typically accompanied by a reduction of tuition down to $25 along with a monthly stipend. In rare instances, when this may not be the case, the award details are clearly outlined in the supplied funding letter.

Can I get a GRA/GTA?

Admitted M.S. students can apply for GTA funding after enrollment in the first semester. Students can fill out the position request form at the secured ECE site. You must be connected to the VPN to access this secured page. Those seeking GRAs are encouraged to reach out directly to faculty with a shared research interest to discuss GRA opportunities. GTA/GRA funding is very limited and is not guaranteed. Preference is given to Ph.D. students. M.S. admission does not typically come with an offer of funding. M.S. students should have an alternative plan for funding their degree.

Most applicants admitted to the Atlanta campus Ph.D. program will receive a funding offer. The type of funding will be noted in the acceptance letter. In the event funding is not offered, students will need to have an alternate plan for funding their degree. The Office of Graduate Studies fellowships page maintains links to external national fellowships that may be of interest.

How can I apply for a GRA/GTA?

Current (enrolled) students, can file a “Position Request” for a GTA through the secure ECE website where coursework plans are filed. New students will gain access to this site after the first semester’s course schedule have been finalized (tuition and fees paid). When applying for a GTA, please enter in the comments section the course numbers of courses for which you feel qualified to be a GTA. Submitting this form enters you into a pool of consideration as opportunities arise but does not guarantee a GTA award within the same semester in which the application was filed. Those seeking GRAs are encouraged to make direct contact with faculty researching in their interest area to determine if funding opportunities exist.

When will be assigned an advisor? How can I meet with an advisor?

The ECE Graduate Affairs Office staff provides academic advisement. Students pursuing the M.S. thesis option, or the Ph.D. degree will seek research advisors from ECE faculty after enrolled. Prior to the start of each academic term, an academic advisement session is held for new students. All Atlanta-based students are required to attend the advisement program.  Following the advisement sessions, advising appointments can be scheduled via the M.S.E.C.E. Student Forum or ECE Ph.D. student platforms.

Advising is available on all satellite campuses and respective interdisciplinary degree programs. Please consult the respective campus and program contacts for more information. 

When should I declare my MS degree track (thesis/non-thesis)?

ECE does not stipulate which M.S. option students should pursue. Some faculty may require the M.S. thesis of students researching under their direction. Occasionally, a student sponsored by an outside entity may be required by the sponsor to do an M.S. thesis. M.S. thesis option students are encouraged to select a research advisor during their first term and no later than the end of registration for their second term in residence.

The M.S. thesis track is not offered at the online distance learning campus. 

I cannot find a list of required courses, what courses should I register?

The M.S.E.C.E. Program is completed in 30 credit hours. Students matriculating into the M.S.E.C.E. program in fall 2020 or later are required to complete the ECE 6001: Technology Entrepreneurship elective (3 credit hours). The additional hours can be selected in accordance to the student’s interest within a prescribed guideline. Consult the academic summary for an overview of the M.S. program. Courses available in ECE can be searched on the ECE Course Information page.  Not every course is offered every year. Consult the current course schedule for the list of projected courses offerings.

Students enrolled in one of the interdisciplinary M.S. degree programs will receive advising by the appropriate interdisciplinary program coordinator. 

The Ph.D. Program requires 43 hours of coursework. Students must have at least two semesters of full-time, on-campus enrollment. Course hours are filled with classes in accordance to the student’s interests within a prescribed guideline. Consult the academic summary for an overview of the Ph.D. program. Courses available in ECE can be searched on the ECE Course Information page. Not every course is offered every year. Consult the current course schedule for the list of projected courses offerings.

Students enrolled in one of the interdisciplinary Ph.D. degree programs will receive advising by the appropriate interdisciplinary program coordinator. 

Are there any requirements specific to non-citizens that I should be aware?

All F1 and J1 visa holders are required to complete an immigration check-in with the Office of International Education (OIE). Students cannot register courses until check-in holds have been removed by an international student advisor. For more information on check-in visit this page.

How can I request an I-20/DS-2019?  When can I expect it?

First time/non-US students: It is not necessary to contact us to request that an I-20/DS-2019 be initiated, ECE staff will initiate this document within the appropriate timeframe on your behalf. The I-20/DS-2019 can only be started after the Graduate Studies Office has fully processed your admission. You will receive notification when your I-20 process has begun. For more information on I-20/DS-2019 processing, visit OIE’s OIE Process for Issuing a Graduate I-20 or DS-2019 page

Transfer students: Students currently enrolled in a US college/university must request a transfer of your SEVIS record from your current school. Since requirements may differ by school, please follow as guided by your current international student office. For more information on transferring your SEVIS record, visit OIE’s Transfer of SEVIS Record page.

I-20/DS-2019s are typically issued within 5-10 business days after all documentation is submitted in iStart and has been deemed complete and accurate. 

Should I mail my financial documents now?

Look for an email notification from info@oie.gatech.edu to provide passport, proof of financial documentation and any other immigration data that is needed to issue the I-20 or DS-2019. Please refrain from sending unsolicited documents. 

The funding amount listed on my I-20/DS-2019 does not match what is listed in my funding letter?

The funding on the form is listed for I-20/DS-20219 issuance purposes only and may differ from the exact amount of funding a student receives. The funding information listed does not have any bearing on GRA/GTA stipend payments made by Georgia Tech. To determine more precisely what funding will be provided, students should utilize any funding documentation provided by the academic department.

Wondering how you can get involved on campus? Georgia Tech has over 300 undergraduate and graduate student organizations that are just waiting for you to become involved!  ECE hosts several organizations within the school itself. Student organizations are a great way to meet people, focus on your interests, and build your resume. 

If you wish to speak with a current ECE graduate student prior to making your admissions decision, contact the ECE Graduate Student Organization who can facilitate a connection.  

Important Dates to Note: You can view the full academic calendar for Georgia Tech on the Registrar's website.

REMINDER: First-time graduate students will register during Phase II Registration

Take a virtual tour of Tech’s campus and visit the ECE buildings that will be your home away from home.

Tour Tech’s campus         Tour ECE spaces

Admitted students are required to submit immunization records. You will not be able to register classes until health forms have been received by Stamps Health Services. Visit Stamps Health Services to determine immunization deadlines.

IMPORTANT: All F1 and J1 visa holders and all students employed as GTA/GRAs are mandated to have health insurance. Insurance charges will be incurred in your student account in the fall (for fall semester) and spring (for spring and summer semesters). Visit Stamps Health’s Student Health Insurance Plan page for more details. The ECE Office does not collect or have access to your health requirements.



Meet the Graduate Office Staff


Matthieu Bloch






Associate Chair for Graduate Affairs

Daniela Staiculescu





Senior Academic Professional

Tasha Torrence





Academic Advising Manager


Katrina Patton





Academic Advisor II

Andrew Stargill





Academic Advisor II

Olivia Kulisz





Corporate Relations Manager


Shay Robinson





Academic Program Coordinator




Useful Links To Departments Around Campus

Answer not found on this page? Let us know and we will point you in the right direction. Contact us at grad-help@ece.gatech.edu

Last revised April 18, 2021