Dr. Hayes grew up in California and attended the University of California, Berkeley where he received his B.A. in Physics in 1971. After graduation, he worked as a systems engineer with Aerojet Electro Systems in IR imaging systems until 1974, when he entered the graduate program in electrical engineering and computer science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He earned his S.M. degree in 1978 and his Sc.D. in 1981, both in electrical engineering. His M.S. thesis was concerned with image coding, and his Sc.D. thesis was on the reconstruction of multidimensional signals from Fourier transform phase or magnitude.
Dr. Hayes joined the faculty at Georgia Tech in 1981. Since joining the faculty at Georgia Tech, Dr. Hayes has become internationally recognized for his contributions to the field of digital signal processing, image and video processing, and engineering education. He has published over 150 papers, is the author of two textbooks, and has received numerous awards and distinctions from professional societies. In 1992, he was elected to the grade of Fellow of the IEEE.
- Digital signal processing
- Image and video processing
- Face recognition
- Adaptive signal processing
- Engineering education
- Presidential Young Investigator Award
- IEEE Senior Award for a paper of exceptional merit
- IEEE Fellow, 1992, "for contributions to signal restoration including the development of algorithms for signal restoration from Fourier transform phase or magnitude."
- Chairman, IEEE Digital Signal Processing Committee
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, IEEE Transactions on Education
- Chairman, Publications Board, IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing
- Member, Signal Processing Society Board of Governors, Signal Processing Society Conference Board
- General Chair, ICASSP-1996, Atlanta
- ASEE-NASA Summer Fellow, 2000 -2002
- Georgia Tech ECE Excellence in Continuing Education Award, 2002
- Georgia Institute of Technology Outstanding Professional Education Award, 2003
- General Chair, 2006 International Conference on Image Processing
M.H. Hayes, Schaum's Outline on Digital Signal Processing, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1999
Monson H. Hayes, III, Q. Jiang: "Stereo Sequence Coding," Visual Communications and Image Processing'98, vol. 3309, pp. 894-901, 1998.
H. Aydinoglu, Monson H. Hayes, III: "Perceptual Evaluation of Coded Stereo Image Pairs," Visual Communications and Image Processing'98, vol. 3309, pp. 934-941, 1998.
Monson H. Hayes, III, M. Khosrave, A. Nefian: "System and Method for Detecting a Human Face in Uncontrolled Environments," U.S. Patent and European Patent 97309444, 4-1238, 1998.
H. Aydinoglu, Monson H. Hayes, III: "Stereo Image Coding: A Projection Approach," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 506-516, 1998.
H. Aydinoglu and M. H. Hayes, "Stereo image coding: A projection approach," IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 507-516, April 1998.
H. Aydinoglu, Monson H. Hayes, III: "Source Coding of Stereo Pairs," chapter in Intelligent Methods in Signal Processing and Communications, pp. 281-299, 1997.
Monson H. Hayes, III: Statistical Digital Signal Processing and Modeling, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, 1996.
H. Aydinoglu, Monson H. Hayes, III: "Performance Analysis of Stereo Coding Algorithms," 1996 International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, pp. 2191-2194, 1996.
M.H. Hayes, Statistical Digital Signal Processing and Modeling, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1996
Monson H. Hayes, III, F.A. Sakarya: "Estimating 2-D DOA Angles Using Nonlinear Array Configurations," IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, vol. 43, no. 9, pp. 2212-2216, 1995.
H. Aydinoglu, Monson H. Hayes, III: "Region-Based Stereo Image Coding," Proceedings of the International Conference on Image Processing, pp. 57-61, 1995.
Monson H. Hayes, III, A. Peng: "Using Genetic Algorithms on Modeling Facial Expressions," Proceedings of the International Conference on System, Man, and Cybernetics, 1995.
M.H. Hayes, "Iterated function systems for image and video coding," Journal on Communications, vol. 45, pp. 11-19, May-June 1994.
M.H. Hayes and J.H. McClellan, "Reducible polynomials in more than one variable," Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 197-198, Feb. 1982.
M.H. Hayes, "The reconstruction of a multidimensional sequence from the phase or magnitude of its Fourier transform," IEEE Trans. on Acoustics, Speech, Sig. Proc., vol. ASSP-30, no. 2, pp. 140-154, April 1982.
Last revised March 2, 2017