ECE Course Outline
Optical Fiber Communications (3-3-4)
- ECE 3025 [min C]
- Catalog Description
- Combined lecture-laboratory exploration of the technology of fiber optics, with emphasis on optical fiber communication systems.
- Gerd Keiser, Optical Fiber Communications (4th edition), McGraw-Hill, 2010. ISBN 0073380717, ISBN 978-0073380711 (required)
- Course Objectives - As part of this course, students:
- design and operate basic optical fiber systems [a,c,e,k].
- understand the essential system impairments and methods used in their mitigation [a,b,k].
- understand and measure fiber data link parameters, including loss, dispersion, and bit error rate [a,b,k]
- learn and perform standard experimental methods in fiber optics, including fiber handling, apparatus setup, safety, and stability [b,e,k]
- learn and improve data processing skills, including curve fitting, error analysis, accuracy, and assessment of reasonableness [a,b,e,k]
- present results as teams in written reports and in oral presentations [d,g]
- Course Outcomes - Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
- be conversant on optical waveguide components, including single and multimode fiber, fiber couplers, connectors, and fiber amplifiers.
- demonstrate basic fiber handling skills, including cleaving and splicing.
- understand and measure properties of optical sources, detectors, and receivers.
- understand and measure fundamental system impairments and know the methods by which these are mitigated.
- operate instrumentation for measuring fiber and optical system properties.
- understand and measure noise and its effects on system performance.
- design, construct, and test a basic fiber communication link.
- demonstrate sophistication in experimental data processing, interpretation, and presentation.
- write a good technical report.
- give a clear and informative team presentation.
- Topical Outline
Overview of Optical Communications Dielectric Waveguide Fundamentals Symmetric Slab Waveguides Optical Fiber Waveguides Wave equation solutions Single-mode and multimode fiber Alternative refractive index profiles Gaussian beam measurements and fiber coupling (laboratory) Signal Degradation in Fiber Fiber manufacture Losses Intrinsic loss mechanisms Coupling loss Bending loss Loss measurements (laboratory) Dispersion Group velocity dispersion Dispersion management Polarization dispersion Dispersion measurement (laboratory) Optical Sources Basic light emission mechanisms in semiconductors Light-emitting diodes Semiconductor lasers Optical emitter characterization (laboratory) Detection Basic light absorption concepts in semiconductors Photodiode detectors Receiver components Noise Bit error rate and receiver sensitivity Detectors and noise studies (laboratory) System Fundamentals Point-to-point link power budgets BER measurements Eye diagrams Loss and dispersion limits Network architectures Design guidelines Link characterization (laboratory) Advanced Topics Optical amplifiers Nonlinear effects Soliton propagation Coherent detection Amplifier characterization (laboratory)
© 2018 Georgia Institute of Technology