Dr. Sivakumar grew up in Chennai, India and attended the College of Engineering - Guindy, Anna University, where he earned the Bachelor of Engineering degree in Computer Science in 1996. He then moved to Champaign, Illinois to attend the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, where he earned the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in 1998 and 2000, respectively. Following this, he joined the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Georgia Tech as an Assistant Professor in August 2000. His hobbies include running, playing chess, and reading.
- Computer Networks
- Wireless Networks
- Mobile Computing
- Curriculum Innovation Award (co-recipient), presented to the faculty member(s) who are improving the quality of education at Georgia Tech through pedagogical and curricular innovation, 2019.
- ECE Distinguished Faculty Achievement Award, presented to the senior faculty member who has made significant contributions throughout his/her career, 2016.
- Outstanding Achievement in Research Innovation Award for working at the forefront of discovery, application and deployment, with research results that have had a demonstrable and sustained external economic, social, or policy impact, presented by the Georgia Institute of Technology, 2015.
- Fellow of the IEEE for contributions to the design of algorithms and protocols for wireless networking and mobile computing, 2014.
- Best Paper Award, Co-author, IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP), 2005.
- Outstanding Young Faculty Award, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Georgia Tech, 2004.
- ACM MobiCom Best Student Paper Award (Co-author), Association of Computing Machinery, SIGMOBILE, 2003.
- David J. Kuck Award for the Outstanding Doctoral Thesis, Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2001.
- Kuck Award for Outstanding Master's Thesis, Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1998.
- University Gold Medal for ranking first in the university across all disciplines, Anna University, Madras, India, 1996.
C. R. Forest, R. Sivakumar, R. P. Vito, R. Saxena, J. Harris, R. Perkins, D. Davidson, K. Ramachandran, K. McGreggor, O. Olufisayo, C. Klaus, and S. McLaughlin, “CREATE-X: Toward student entrepreneurial confidence,” IEEE Potentials, Vol. 40, No. 3, pp. 14-22, May-June 2021.
R. Sivakumar, C-F. Shih, “Scheduled WiFi in Single Collision Domain,”, US utility patent no. 10,070,460, September 2018.
B. Krishnaswamy, C. M. Austin, Y. Jian, J. E. Perdomo, S. C. Patel, B. K. Hammer, C. R. Forest, and R. Sivakumar, "ADMA: Amplitude-Division Multiple Access for Bacterial Communication Networks," IEEE Transactions on Molecular, Biological and Multi-Scale Communications, Vol. 3, Issue 3, pp. 134-149, September 2017.
R. Sivakumar, C-L. Tsao, “Systems and methods for improved wireless interface aggregation,” US utility patent no. 9,655,003, May 2017.
R. Sivakumar and S. Kakumanu, “Systems and methods for achieving high data-rate wireless communication,” US utility patent no. 8,976,742, March 2015.
R. Sivakumar and A. Velayutham, “Systems and Methods of Improving Performance of Transport Protocols,” US utility patent no. 8,605,590, December 2013.
B. Krishnaswamy, C. M. Austin, J. P. Bardill, D. Russakow, G. L. Holst, B. K. Hammer, C. R. Forest, and R. Sivakumar, "Time Elapse Communication: Bacterial Communication on a Microfluidic Chip," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 61, Issue. 12, pp. 5139-5151, December 2013.
R. Sivakumar, S. Lakshmanan, C-L. Tsao, “Wireless Communication Collision Coding Devices, Systems, and Methods,”, US utility patent no. 8,179,841, May 2012.
K. Sundaresan and R. Sivakumar, "A Unified MAC Layer Framework for Ad-Hoc Networks with Smart Antennas," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 546-559, June 2007.
R. Sivakumar, P. Sinha, and V. Bharghavan, "CEDAR: A Core-Extraction Distributed Ad Hoc Routing Algorithm," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Special Issue on Ad Hoc Networks, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 1454-65, August 1999.
Last revised September 21, 2021