Ian F. Akyildiz received his B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees in Computer Engineering from the University of Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany, in 1978, 1981, and 1984, respectively. Currently, he is the Ken Byers Chair Professor in Telecommunications and the chair of the Telecommunications Group with the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, and the director of the Broadband Wireless Networking Laboratory.
Dr. Akyildiz was the Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of Computer Networks Journal (Elsevier) 1999-2019, the founding Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of the Ad Hoc Networks Journal (Elsevier) 2003-2019, the founding Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of the Physical Communication (PHYCOM) Journal (Elsevier) (2008-2017), and the founding Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of the Nano Communication Networks (NANOCOMNET) Journal (Elsevier) (2010-2017).
He received numerous awards from IEEE and ACM and other organizations.
Dr. Akyildiz is an IEEE FELLOW (1996) and ACM Fellow (1997).
According to Google Scholar, his H-index is 122 and the total number of citations to his papers is 116,000.
Dr. Akyildiz's current research interests are in Terahertz Communications, Nanonetworks, Internet of NanoThings, Internet of BioNanothings, 5G/6G Wireless Systems, Internet of Space Things/CUBESATs, and Wireless Sensor Networks in Challenged Environments.
- Terahertz Communications
- Internet of NanoThings
- Internet of BioNanothings
- 5G/6G Wireless Systems
- Internet of Space Things/CUBESATs
- Wireless Sensor Networks in Challenged Environments
- IEEE Fellow (1996) "for contributions to performance analysis of computer communication networks"
- Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) (1997) "for fundamental research contributions in: finite capacity queuing network models; performance evaluation of Time Warp parallel simulations; traffic control in ATM networks; and mobility management in wireless networks"
- 2002 IEEE Harry M. Goode Memorial Award (IEEE Computer Society) "for significant and pioneering contributions to advanced architectures and protocols for wireless and satellite networking"
- 2009 Best Paper Award for "Interferer Classification, Channel Selection and Transmission Adaptation for Wireless Sensor Networks" in the Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks (AHSN) symposium at IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), June 2009
- 2010 Best Paper Award for "Deployment Algorithms for Wireless Underground Sensor Networks using Magnetic Induction" in the IEEE Global Communications Conference (Globecom), December 2010
- 2010 IEEE Communications Society Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks Technical Committee (AHSN TC) Technical Recognition Award with the citation: "For pioneering contributions to wireless sensor networks and wireless mesh networks", December 2010
- 2003 ACM SIGMOBILE Outstanding Contribution Award for his "pioneering contributions in the area of mobility and resource management for wireless communication networks"
- 2004 Georgia Tech Faculty Research Author Award for his "outstanding record of publications of papers between 1999-2003"
- 2005 Distinguished Faculty Achievement Award, Georgia Tech, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- 2009 Georgia Tech Outstanding Doctoral Thesis Advisor Award
- 2009 ECE Distinguished Mentor Award
- 2011 IEEE Computer Society W. Wallace McDowell Award for "pioneering contributions to wireless sensor network architectures and communication protocols," May 2011
- 2011 TUBITAK (Turkish National Science Foundation) Exclusive Award for "outstanding contributions to the advancement of scholarship/research at international level"
Akyildiz, I. F., Jornet, J. M., and Pierobon, M. "Nanonetworks: A New Frontier in Communications," Communications of the ACM, vol. 54, no. 11, pp. 84-89, November 2011.
Akyildiz, I. F., Sun Z., and Vuran, M. C., "Signal Propagation Techniques for Wireless Underground Communication Networks," Physical Communication (Elsevier) Journal, vol. 2, no. 3, pp.167-183, September 2009.
Akyildiz, I. F., Melodia, T., and Chowdury, K. R., "Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks: A Survey," IEEE Wireless Communications Magazine, December 2007.
Akyildiz, I. F., Lee, W.Y., Vuran, M.C., Mohanty, S., "NeXt Generation/Dynamic Spectrum Access/Cognitive Radio Wireless Networks: A Survey," Computer Networks (Elsevier) Journal, September 2006.
Akyildiz, I. F., Su, W., Sankarasubramaniam, Y., and Cayirci, E., "Wireless Sensor Networks: A Survey", Computer Networks (Elsevier) Journal, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 393-422, March 2002.
Last revised May 20, 2020