Geoffrey Ye Li received his B.S.E. and M.S.E. degrees in 1983 and 1986, respectively, from the department of Wireless Engineering, Nanjing Institute of Technology, Nanjing, China, and his Ph.D. degree in 1994 from the Department of Electrical Engineering, Auburn University, Alabama.
He was with the University of Maryland at College Park, as a post-doctoral research associate, from 1994 to 1996 and with AT&T Labs-Research at Red Bank, N.J., as a senior and then a principal technical staff member from 1996 to 2000. Since 2000, he has been with the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology as an associate professor and then a full professor. He has also held the Cheung Kong Scholar title at the University of Electronic Science and Technology of China since March 2006.
His general research interests include statistical signal processing and communications. He was elected as an IEEE Fellow for his contributions to signal processing for wireless communications in 2005, and he won the Stephen O. Rice Prize Paper Award in 2010 and WTC Wireless Recognition Award in 2013 from IEEE Communications Society. He also received the James Evans Avant Garde Award in 2013 and the Jack Neubauer Memorial Award in 2014 from IEEE Vehicular Technology Society.
- Statistical signal processing for communications (MIMO, OFDM, equalization, etc.)
- Cross-layer optimization for spectrum- and energy-efficient wireless networks
- Practical issues in wireless systems
- Cognitive radios and opportunistic spectrum access
- Fellow of IEEE since 2006
- S. O. Rice Prize Paper Award (2010) and WTC Wireless Recognition Award (2013) from the IEEE Communications Society
- James Evans Avant Garde Award (2013) and Jack Neubauer Memorial Award (2014) from the IEEE Vehicular Technology Society
- Past or current editorial activities for over 10 IEEE journals including IEEE Transactions on Communications, Wireless Communications, and Signal Processing, JSAC, J-STSP, the Proceedings of IEEE, and IEEE Communications Magazine
- Technical program vice-chair of the 2003 IEEE International Conference on Communications, technical program co-chair of the 2011 IEEE International Workshop on Signal Processing Advances for Wireless Communications, and general chair of the 2014 IEEE Global Conference on Signal and Information Processing
G. Song, Y. (G.) Li, and L. J. Cimini, Jr., "Joint channel- and queue-aware scheduling for multiuser diversity in wireless multicarrier networks," IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 57, no. 7, pp. 2109 - 2121, July 2009. (won Stephen O. Rice Prize Paper Award)
J. Ma, G. Y. Li, and B.-H. Juang, "Signal processing in cognitive radio," The Proceedings of IEEE, vol. 97, no. 5, pp. 805 - 823, May 2009.
G. Ganesan and Y. (G.) Li, "Cooperative spectrum sensing in cognitive radio: Parts I and II," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 6, pp. 2204-2222, June 2007.
G.-C. Song and Y. (G.) Li, "Cross-layer optimization for OFDM wireless networks--Parts I and II," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 614-634, March 2005.
G. L. Stuber, J. Barry, S. McLaughlin, Y. (G.) Li, M. A. Ingram, and T. Pratt, "Broadband MIMO-OFDM wireless communications," Proceedings of IEEE, vol. 92, pp.271-294, February 2004.
Y. (G.) Li, J. H. Winters, and N. R. Sollenberger, "MIMO-OFDM for wireless communications: signal detection with enhanced channel estimation," IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 50, pp. 1471-1477, September 2002.
Y. (G.) Li, N. Seshadri, and S. Ariyavisitakul, "Channel estimation for OFDM systems with transmitter diversity in mobile wireless channels," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 17, pp. 461-471, March 1999.
Y. (G.) Li and K. J. R. Liu, "Adaptive blind multi-channel equalization for multiple signal separation," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 44, pp. 2864-2876, November 1998.
Y. (G.) Li, L. J. Cimini, Jr., and N. R. Sollenberger, "Robust channel estimation for OFDM systems with rapid dispersive fading channels," IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 46, pp. 902-915, July 1998.
Y. Li and Z. Ding, "Global convergence of fractionally spaced Godard adaptive equalizers," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 44, pp. 818-826, April 1996.
Last revised March 17, 2017