Edward J. Coyle received his B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Delaware in 1978, and master's and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from Princeton University in 1980 and 1982. From 1982 through 2007, he was a faculty member at Purdue University, where he served at various times as assistant vice provost for research, co-director of the Center for Wireless Systems and Applications, and co-founder of both the Vertically-Integrated Projects (VIP) program and the Engineering Projects in Community Service (EPICS) program. During the 2006-07 academic year, he was the Kenan Trust Visiting Professor at Princeton University.
Dr. Coyle joined Georgia Tech in 2008 and is currently the Arbutus Chair for the Integration of Research and Education at Georgia Tech, a Georgia Research Alliance Eminent Scholar, and director of the Arbutus Center for the Integration of Research and Education.
- Computer and Sensor Networks
- Signal and Image Processing
- Engineering Education
- Oustanding Service Award, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Delaware, 2016.
- Innovative Program Award, for the creation of the EPICS Program, from the ECE Department Heads Association, with L.H. Jamieson, 2006.
- Bernard M. Gordon Prize for Innovation in Engineering and Technology Education from the National Academy of Engineering, with L.H. Jamieson and W.C. Oakes, 2005.
- First Annual Governor's Award for Outstanding Volunteerism, presented by the State of Indiana to the EPICS Program, 2003.
- Fellow of the IEEE for "Contributions to the theory of nonlinear signal processing" 1998.
- Distinguished Engineering Alumnus of the University of Delaware, 1998.
- General Chair of the 1997 IEEE/EURASIP Workshop on Nonlinear Signal Processing.
- Chester F. Carlson Award for Innovation in Engineering Education, from the American Society for Engineering Education, with L.H. Jamieson, 1997.
- Class of 1922 Award for Outstanding Innovation in Helping Students Learn, Purdue University, (1997) with L.H. Jamieson, 1997.
- Myril B. Reed Best Paper Award from the 32nd Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems, with M. Gabbouj, 1989.
- ASSP Society's Best Paper Award for Authors under age 30, with J.P. Fitch, 1986.
D. Phanish and E.J. Coyle, “Delay-efficient Routing across High-throughput Wireless Network Clusters,” IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC 2018), Barcelona, Spain, April 15-18, 2018.
P. Garver, E.J. Coyle, and R.T. Abler, “MAC Layer Assisted Localization in Wireless Environments with Multiple Sensors and Emitters,” 2017 Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, San Francisco, CA, March 19-22, 2017.
D. Phanish and E.J. Coyle, “Application-based optimization of multi-level hierarchical clusters in ad hoc and sensor networks,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 16, #7, pp. 4460-4475, July 2017.
S. Laitrakun and E.J. Coyle, “Collision-Aware Composite Hypothesis Testing in Random-Access WSNs with Sensor Censoring,” 19th Int’l Computer Science and Engineering Conference, Chang Mai, Thailand, Nov 23-26, 2015.
S. Laitrakun and E.J. Coyle, “Reliability-Based Splitting Algorithms for Time-Constrained Distributed Detection in WSNs,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 62, #21, pp. 5536-5552, November 2014.
V. Kapnadak and E.J. Coyle, “Optimal Non-Uniform Deployment of Sensors for Distributed Detection in Wireless Sensor Networks,” ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, Vol. 10, #1, pp. 89-97, January 2014.
V. Kapnadak, M. Senel and E.J. Coyle, "Adaptive Quantization for Distributed Characterization of Interferers in Wireless Networks," SenSIP 2008 Special Issue of Digital Signal Processing, Vol. 22, No. 1, Jan 2012.
V. Kapnadak, M. Senel and E.J. Coyle, “Distributed Iterative Quantization for Interference Characterization in Wireless Networks,” Digital Signal Processing, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 96-105, Jan. 2012.
X. Sun and E.J. Coyle, “The Effects of Motion on Distributed Detection in Mobile Ad Hoc Sensor Networks,” Int’l Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, March 2012, Article ID 460924, http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijdsn/2012/460924/
X. Sun and E.J. Coyle, "Low-Complexity Algorithms for Event Detection in Wireless Sensor Networks," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 28, No. 7, pp. 1138 -1148, Sept. 2010.
P. Navarrete and E.J. Coyle, "A Semi-algebraic Approach that Enables the Design of Inter-grid Operators to Optimize Multi-grid Convergence," Numerical Linear Algebra with Applications, Vol. 15, pp. 219-247, March 2008.
S. Bandyopadhyay, E.J. Coyle, and T. Falck "Stochastic Properties of Mobility Models in Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks," IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, Vol. 6, No. 11, pp. 1218-1229, Nov. 2007.
Last revised August 13, 2018