ECE Faculty Companies
ECE has a long and successful history of start-up company activity through the Advanced Technology Development Center (ATDC), a nationally recognized science and technology incubator that helps Georgia entrepreneurs launch and build successful businesses. VentureLab, a one-stop center for technology commercialization, assists faculty in evaluating the commercial value of invention disclosures and in determining whether to license the technology to industry or to begin a start-up company.
- E-System Design: E-System Design develops CAD tools for achieving signal and power integrity in integrated 3D micro and nano-systems. The line of products include Sphinx DC for DC analysis of packages and printed circuit boards; Sphinx for Signoff for High Frequency Analysis; and most recently, Sphinx 3D Path Finder for early electrical analysis of IC Stacks, interposers, and packages.
Madhavan Swaminathan, Founder and CTO
Qualtré is a fabless
semiconductor company developing integrated all-axis motion
sensors for consumer electronics.
Farrokh Ayazi, Co-Founder and CTO
- StarMobile, Inc.: StarMobile is a disruptive, cloud-based solution that delivers enterprise mobility at a fraction of the cost and time of any other approach. Global 2000 companies use StarMobile to dynamically transform any packaged on-premise or cloud-based application, or custom-built system, into a mobile application.
Raghupathy Sivakumar, Founder and CTO
- VQLink: VQLink
provider of solutions for the measurement and enhancement of
quality in cable, telco, Internet, and mobile distribution
Nikil Jayant, Co-Founder and Interim CEO
- Whisper Communications: The technologies developed at Whisper Communications prevents eavesdroppers from collecting any information in the wireless/mobile payment point-of transaction.
Steve W. McLaughlin, Co-Founder
ATDC Graduate Companies
An ATDC company is designated as a "graduate" when it has reached over $1 million of growing revenue, has become a value acquisition, has raised significant venture funding, or has received clearance to begin trials with the Food and Drug Administration. Seven companies started by ECE faculty members have reached graduate status.
- Asankya (acquired by EMC):
Asankya offered a revolutionary approach to optimizing application performance on wide-area
networks (WAN). Using a breakthrough technique for transporting packets over multiple network
paths, it improved application performance over the Internet or in combination with private
networks. The products were built upon patented technology developed at Georgia Tech.
Co-Founder and Chief Technical Officer: Raghupathy Sivakumar
- ASPI Digital (acquired by Polycom,
2001): ASPI Digital was established
in 1981 and produced hardware and software tools for DSP algorithm development
and multimedia on high-speed microprocessors.
Co-Founders: Thomas P. Barnwell, Russell M. Mersereau, and Ronald W. Schafer
- Axion Biosystems: Axion Biosystems has developed the next generation multi-electrode array (MEA) technology to
provide unprecedented access to cellular information at a reasonable cost.
Board of Directors: Mark G. Allen
- CardioMEMS: CardioMEMS
uses microelectromechanical (MEMS) and wireless (RF) technology to create
breakthrough devices for the diagnosis, treatment, and management of chronic
Co-Founder and Chief Technical Officer: Mark G. Allen
- EGT (acquired by ARRIS):
EGT manufactured digital video signal processing equipment for television distribution over cable, satellite, and IP networks.
Co-Founder and Chief Science Officer: Nikil Jayant
- GTronix (acquired by National Semiconductor/Texas Instruments):
GTronix developed analog integrated circuits for ultra-low power, small size, and cost-effective implementations
in portable consumer electronics.
Co-Founder, Chief Science Officer, and Board Member: Jennifer O. Hasler
- Innovolt: Innovolt
products provide complete, dependable, and reliable electrical protection
against current and voltage surges.
Chair, CTO, and Co-Founder: Deepak Divan
- Lancope: Lancope
Inc. provides next-generation network integrity solutions that deliver
behavior-based threat defense, policy enforcement, and insightful network
Founder: John A. Copeland
- Nexidia: Nexidia
produces scalable enterprise speech intelligence software for audio
mining and speech analytics.
Co-Founder and Board Member: Mark A. Clements
- Suniva: Suniva
is focused on the development, manufacturing, and delivery of low-cost,
high-efficiency silicon solar cells for clean power generation.
Founder and CTO: Ajeet Rohatgi
Last revised on July 8, 2014.