Faculty Profile - Glenn S Smith
|Regents' Professor Emeritus|
Electromagnetics, and Optics and Photonics
Office: VL W329
Selected Publications, Patents
- G.S. Smith, "The Relativistic Transformation for an Electromagnetic Plane Wave with General Time Dependence," European Journal of Physics, Vol. 33, pp. 307-314, March 2012.
- G.S. Smith, "A Simple Electromagnetic Model for the Light Clock of Special Relativity," European Journal of Physics, Vol. 32, pp. 1585-1595, November 2011.
- G.S. Smith, "Visualizing Special Relativity: the Field of an Electric Dipole Moving at Relativistic Speed," European Journal of Physics, Vol. 32, pp. 695-710, May 2011.
- G.S. Smith, "A Different Introduction to the Guiding of Electromagnetic Waves," American Journal of Physics, Vol. 79, pp. 282-290, March 2011.
- G.S. Smith, "Structural Color of Morpho Butterflies," American Journal of Physics, Vol. 77, pp. 1010-1019, November 2009.
- R.T. Lee and G.S. Smith, "A Detailed Electromagnetic Simulation for the Structural Color of Butterfly Wings," Applied Optics, Vol. 48, pp. 4177-4190, 20 July 2009.
- G.S. Smith, "Summing the Molecular Contributions to Skylight," American Journal of Physics, Vol. 76, pp. 816-825, September 2008.
- G.S. Smith and J.G., Maloney, "Finite-Difference Time-Domain Method Applied to Antennas," Chapter 30 in C.A. Balanis, Modern Antenna Handbook, pp. 1495-1530, Wiley, 2008.
- G.S. Smith, "The Polarization of Skylight: An Example from Nature," American Journal of Physics, Vol. 74, pp. 25-35, January 2007.
- G.S. Smith, "Loop Antennas," Chapter 5 in J. L. Volakis, Antenna Engineering Handbook, Fourth Edition, pp. 5-1 – 5 -25, McGraw-Hill, 2007.
- G.S. Smith, Human Color Vision and the Unsaturated Blue Color of the Daytime Sky, American Journal of Physics, Vol. 73, pp. 590-597, July 2005.
- G.S. Smith, A Direct derivation of a Single-Antenna Reciprocity Relation for the Time Domain, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, pp. 1568-1577, June 2004.
- G.S. Smith, An Introduction to Classical Electromagnetic Radiation, Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press, 653 pages, 1997.
- R.W.P. King and G.S. Smith, Antennas in Matter: Fundamentals, Theory and Applications, MIT Press, 868 pages, 1981; Russian Edition, MIR Press, Moscow, 1984.
Last revised on February 11, 2013.