Faculty Profile - Stephen E Ralph
|Professor; Director, Georgia Electronic Design Center|
Microelectronics/Microsystems, Optics and Photonics, and Electromagnetics
Office: TSRB 505
Selected Publications, Patents
- J. Pan, C. Liu, T. Detwiler, A. J. Stark, Y.-T. Hsueh, S. E. Ralph, "Inter-Channel Crosstalk Cancellation for Nyquist-WDM Superchannel Applications" J. Light. Technol., v 30, n 24, p3993-99, 15 Dec. 2012.
- Y.-T. Hsueh, A. Stark, C. Liu, T. Detwiler, S. Tibuleac, M. Filer, G.-K. Chang, and S. E. Ralph, "Passband Narrowing and Crosstalk Impairments in ROADM-Enabled 100G DWDM Networks," J. Light. Technol., v 30, n24, p3980-86, 15 Dec, 2012.
- "Signal processing and Impairments in Next-Generation MMF links," Avionics, Fiber-Optics and Photonics Conference (AVFOP 2012), Cocoa Beach, FL, 11-13 September, 2012. (invited talk)
- A. J. Stark, Y.-T. Hsueh, S. Searcy, T. Detwiler, C. Liu, M. Filer S. Tibuleac, GK Chang, and S. E. Ralph, "Scaling 112 Gb/s Optical Networks with the Nonlinear Threshold Metric," J. Light. Technol., v30, n9, p 1291-8, 1 May 2012.
- T. F. Detwiler, S. M. Searcy, S. E. Ralph, and E. B. Basch, "Continuous phase modulation for fiber optics links," J. Light. Technol., v 29, n 24, p 3659-71, 15 Dec. 2011.
- "25G POF Links," International Conference on Advanced Photonic Polymers (ICAPP), Dec 2-3, 2011, Yokohama, Japan. (invited talk)
- "VCSEL-based 100m 25Gb/s Plastic Optical Fiber Links," POF World 2011, Nov. 8-10 Santa Clara, California. (invited talk)
- "25G VCSEL-based GI-POF Links," 20th International Conference on Plastic Optical Fibers, Bilbao, Spain, 14-16 September, 2011. (invited talk)
- "25G short reach links," 2011 Advanced Photonics Congress, Access Networks and In-house Communications (ANIC), OSA, June 12-15 2011, Toronto, Canada. (invited talk)
- Y.-T. Hsueh, A. J. Stark, M. Filer, T. Detwiler, S. Tibuleac, GK Chang, and S. E. Ralph, "In-band Crosstalk Transmission Penalties on 112 Gb/s PDM-QPSK Optical Links," Phot. Tech. Lett. V23, pp.745-747, June, 2011.
- P. J. Decker, A. Polley, J. H. Kim, and S. E. Ralph, "Statistical Study of Graded-Index Perfluorinated Plastic Optical Fiber," J. Light. Technol, Vol. 29, pp. 305-315, 2011.
- "100 m, 40 Gb/s Plastic Optical Fiber Link," A. Polley, S. E. Ralph, Optical Fiber communication/National Fiber Optic Engineers Conference, 24-28 Feb, 2008. (invited talk)
- "High Data Rate Multimode Fiber Access Systems" Lasers and Electro-Optics Society (LEOS), Lake Buena Vista FL. ThDD1, pp. 95, October 21-25, 2007. (invited talk)
- A. Polley, K. Balemarthy and S. E. Ralph, "Mode coupling in plastic optical fiber enables 40Gbps performance," Photonics Tech. Letters, Vol. 19, p 1254-6, August 2007.
- A. Polley and S. E. Ralph, "Raman amplification in multi-mode fiber," Photonics Tech. Letters, Vol.19, pp.218-220, Feb. 2007.
- K. Balemarthy, A. Polley and S. E. Ralph, "Electronic equalization of multi-km 10 Gb/s multi-mode fiber links: Mode coupling effects," J. Light. Technol., Vol. 24, pp. 4885-4894, December 2006.
- K. M. Patel, A. Polley, K. Balemarthy and S. E. Ralph, "Spatially resolved detection and equalization of modal dispersion limited multimode fiber links: Electrical signal processing technique," J. Light. Technol., Vol. 24, pp. 2629-2636, July 2006.
- J. J. Lillie, M. A. Thomas, K. A. Dennis, N. Jokerst, C. L. Henderson and S. E. Ralph, "Multimode interferometric sensors-on-silicon optimized for fully integrated CMOS chem/bio sensor systems," J. Opt. Soc. Amer. B, Vol. 23, pp. 642-651, April 2006.
- J. H. Kim, A. Polley, and S. E. Ralph, "Efficient photoconductive THz source using line excitation," Opt. Lett., Vol. 30, no. 18, pp. 2490-2492, October 2005.
- J. S. Rodgers, R. P. Kenan and S. E. Ralph, "Transformation from a multimode interference solution to a self-guiding solution," J. Opt. Soc. Amer. B, Vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 1037-1044, May 2005.
- C. Pelard, E. Gebara, A. J. Kim, M. G. Vrazel, F. Bien, Y. Hur, M. Maeng, S. Chandramouli, C. Chun, S. Bajekal, S. E. Ralph, B. Schmukler, V. M. Hietala and J. Laskar, "Realization of multigigabit channel equalization and crosstalk cancellation integrated circuits," IEEE J. of Solid Sate Circuits, Vol. 39, pp. 1659-1670, 2004.
- C. Argon, K. M. Patel, S. W. McLaughlin and S. Ralph, "Exploiting diversity in multimode fiber communications links via multisegment detectors and equalization," Communications Lett., IEEE, Vol. 7, pp. 400-402, August 2003.
- M. C. Gross, M. Hanna, K. M. Patel and S. E. Ralph, "Spectral method for the simultaneous determination of uncorrelated and correlated amplitude and timing jitter," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 80, pp. 3694-6, May 2002.
- M. C. Gross, M. Hanna, K. M. Patel, and S. E. Ralph, "Reduction of power fluctuations in ultrafast optically time-division-multiplexed pulse trains by use of a nonlinear amplifying loop mirror," Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 14, pp.690-692, May 2002.
- K. Patel and S. E. Ralph, "Enhanced multimode fiber link performance using a spatially resolved receiver," Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 14, pp.393-395, March 2002.
- B. R. Washburn, S. E. Ralph, P. A. Lacourt, J. M. Dudley, W. T. Rhodes, S. Coen and R. S. Windeler, "Femtosecond soliton generation in photonic crystal fibers," Electron. Lett., Vol. 37, pp. 1510-1512, 2001.
- T. G. Ulmer, P. Juodawlkis, M. C. Gross, K. M. Patel, J. T. Simmons, B. R. Washburn, W. S. Astar, A. J. SpringThorpe, R. P. Kenan, C. M. Verber and S. E. Ralph, "160-Gb/s optical time-division multiplexed link with all-optical demultiplexing," (Special Issue on Optical Networking); J. Light. Technol., Vol. 18, pp. 1964-1977, 2000.
Last revised on January 14, 2013.