Faculty Profile - Robert J Butera
Bioengineering (Group Chair)
Office: WHIT 3104
Google Scholar page
Selected Publications, Patents
- N. Toporikova and R. J. Butera. “Dynamics of neuromodulatory feedback determines frequency modulation in a reduced respiratory network: A computational study.” Respiratory Physiology and Neurobiology, (2013) 185:582-592. DOI: 10.1016/j.resp.2012.11.013
- P. Bradley, K. Wiesenfeld, and R. J. Butera. “Effects of heterogeneity in synaptic conductance between weakly coupled identical neurons.” Journal of Computational Neuroscience (2011) 30:455-69.
- L. Joseph and R. J. Butera. “High frequency stimulation selectively blocks different types of fibers in frog sciatic nerve.” IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering (2011) 19:550-557.
- A. J. Preyer and R. J. Butera. "Causes of Transient Instabilities in Dynamic Clamp Experiments." IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering (2009) 17:190-198.
- J. Cui, C. C. Canavier, and R. J. Butera. "Functional phase response curves: A method for assessing synchrony of adapting neurons." Journal of Neurophysiology (2009) 102:387-398.
- G. C. McConnell, R. J. Butera, and R. V. Bellamkonda. "Bioimpedance modeling to monitor astrocytic response to chronically implanted electrodes." Journal of Neural Engineering (2009) 6: 055005 (10 pages).
- L. Joseph and R. J. Butera. "Unmyelinated Aplysia nerves exhibit a non monotonic blocking response to high frequency stimulation." IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering (2009) 17:537-544.
- L. Purvis, J. C. Smith, H. Koizumi, and R. J. Butera. "Intrinsic Bursters Increase the Robustness of Rhythm Generation in an Excitatory Network." Journal of Neurophysiology (2007) 97:1515-1526.
- A. Sakurai, N. Dargouth, R. J. Butera, and P. S. Katz. "Serotonergic enhancement of a 4-AP-sensitive current mediates the synaptic depression phase of spike-timing dependent neuromodulation." Journal of Neuroscience (2006) 26:2010-2021.
- J. Shao, T. Tsao, and R. J. Butera. "Bursting Without Slow Kinetics: A Role for a Small World?" Neural Computation (2006) 18:2029-2035.
- A. J. Preyer and R. J. Butera. "Neuronal oscillations in Aplysia californica that demonstrate weak coupling in vitro." Physical Review Letters (2005) 95:138103 (5 pages).
- I. Raikov, A. J. Preyer and R. J. Butera. "MRCI: A flexible real-time dynamic clamp system for electrophysiology experiments." Journal of Neuroscience Methods (2004) 132:109-123.
- R. J. Butera and M. L. McCarthy. "Analysis of real-time numerical integration methods applied to dynamic clamp experiments." Journal of Neural Engineering (2004) 1:187-194.
- B. Breen, W. C. Gerken, and R. J. Butera. "Hybrid Integrate-and-Fire model of a bursting neuron." Neural Computation (2003) 15:2843-2862.
- R. J. Butera, C. G. Wilson, C. DelNegro, and J. C. Smith. "A methodology for achieving high-speed rates of artificial conductance injection in electrically excitable biological cells." IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering (2001) 48:1460-1470.
Last revised on April 09, 2013.