|Research Interests |
- Voltage stability in power systems (analysis, monitoring, design of protective relaying); Volt/VAr optimization of reactive support in transmission and distribution networks (multi-objective optimization); Conservative voltage reduction in distribution networks (estimation of the parameters of dynamic load models under transient conditions and cost benefit analysis); Phasor measurement algorithms and various applications (application development for phasor measurement networks).
- Design, modelling, and performance forecasting of PV systems; Analysis of performance of PV systems (clustering algorithms for data set reduction and identification of critical regimes); Optimization of distribution networks with distributed generation (reliability enhancement via feeder reconfiguration under islanded conditions); Integration of distribution feeders with high penetration of renewables (PV) into urban energy infrastructure.
- Investigation of interactions between critical infrastructures (energy, water, transportation, IT) for development of metamodels for synthetic analysis of complex interacting infrastructures; Hybrid multi-scale analysis of energy systems with high penetration of distributed generation with stochastic inputs; Reliability analysis of distribution feeders with distributed PV generation.
- Asset management in power apparatus and systems; Predictive analysis of times to failure of large sets of components based on Bayesian learning; Development of preventive replacement strategies based on chronological failure performance and cost benefit analysis; Development of equipment management strategies (installation, diagnostic tests, repair, treatment, replacement, etc.) based on life cycle cost analysis; Analysis of accelerated aging tests of power apparatus.
- Membership in honor societies: Phi Kappa Phi, Eta Kappa Nu, Tau Beta Pi, Sigma Xi.
- Outstanding Chapter of the Year 1995, Administrative Committee of the IEEE PES Atlanta Chapter (Treasurer, and Student Activities Advisor), at IEEE PES 1995 Summer Meeting, Portland, OR, July 1995.
- IEEE Working Group Recognition Award (Member), "Protective Aids to Voltage Stability," Working Group of the IEEE PES Power Systems Relaying Committee, February 1997.
- IEEE PES Paper Award, "IEEE Standard for Synchrophasors in Power Systems," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Volume: 13 Issue: 1, Jan. 1998, pp. 73-77.
- Student Paper Competition, Third Award, for the paper: Milosevic, B., Begovic, M., "On Optimal Placement of Phasor Measurements in Power Systems", Proceedings of 2001 IEEE PES North American Power Symposium, College Station TX, July 2001.
- Technical Committee Working Group Recognition Award, IEEE Power Engineering Society, to Student Meeting Subcommittee of the Power Engineering Education Committee (2002-2003).
- IEEE PES Technical Committee Prize Paper Award in July 2003, (Energy Development and Power Generation Committee), for the paper: "Determining the Relative Effectiveness of Islanding Detection Methods Using Phase Criteria and Non-Detection Zones," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 15, No. 3, Sep. 2000, pp. 290-296.
- IEEE Fellow in 2004. Citation: "For leadership in developing tools and protection techniques for electric power transmission systems and renewable generation."
- Sigma Xi Best Ph.D. Thesis Award (Co-Advisor), February 2004, student Aleksandar Pregelj, title of thesis: "Impact of Distributed Generation on Power Network Operation."
- Paper Recognition Award, U.S. National Committee of CIGRE (International Council on Large Electric Systems), for paper "Validation of the accuracy of practical diagnostic tests for power equipment," M. Begovic, R. Hampton, R. Hartlein, J.C. Hernandez-Mejia, J. Perkel, Proceedings of Conference Internationale des Grands Reseaux Electriques (CIGRE), paper D1-205, Paris, France, August 2008.
- IEEE Power & Energy Society Distinguished Lecturer, May 2009 - present.
- IEEE Power and Energy Society Treasurer and Chair of the Financial Committee of the Governing Board (elected office; term 2010-2011).